Thursday, October 20, 2011

Weekly Update: 10/19/2011

Upcoming Events:

Sunday, October 23rd: Family Devo

Following evening services, we will be meeting at the retention pond for a devotional together. Bring your lawn chairs and/or blankets. Bring your favorite finger foods as well for our meal together. Paul O’Rear will be our devotional speaker. Look forward to seeing everyone here!!

Saturday, October 29th: Trunk or Treat

Make plans to be here this Saturday for an event that is not only exciting to our kids, but our adults as well! Block off your time from 6:00-8:30 p.m. and come with your trunk decorated and enjoy the fun. A scrumptious menu of mummy dogs, franken burgers, chips, drinks and cotton candy will be served. $5 for 5yrs & higher, $2 for 2-4 year olds, and FREE for anyone under the age of 2. For those that come in their costumes, there will be a contest. Look forward to seeing everyone here!

At A Glance...

Sunday, November 6th:
Youth Devo @ the Williams’s
Sunday, November 13th: Youth Event
Saturday, November 19th: Harvest Hunt
Thursday, November 24th: Community Thanksgiving Meal

Something To Think About...

A little old Jewish lady is flying out of New York City on her way to Miami Beach. She looks at the businessman sitting next to her and asks him, “Excuse me sir, but are you Jewish?”
The man responds politely, “No, ma’am, I’m not Jewish.”

After a little while she again questions him. “You’re really Jewish, aren’t you?”
Again he responds, “No, ma’am, I am not Jewish.”

Barely 10 minutes later, the little old lady asks him once more, “Are you sure you’re not Jewish?”
To which, in irritation and in a final effort to shut her up, he replies, “OK. Yes, ma’am, I am Jewish.”
“Funny,” she says, looking puzzled. “You don’t look Jewish!”

Makes me wonder. If anyone approached me and asked me, “Are you a Christian?” and I answered, “Yes”, would they be inclined to say, “Funny, you don’t look like a Christian.”

I’m not talking about looking like the world’s stereotype of a Christian...a sour-looking guy with a frown on his face, not enjoying life at all. I merely wonder if my Christianity is something that can be seen by the people who see me everyday. I know what I believe, but is that belief translating into action? Can anyone tell?

“You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill...let your light shine before others, so they my see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven. (Matthew 5:14-16)

Do you look like a Christian?

No comments:

Post a Comment